I was tracking Hurricane Matthew on social media. There were all kinds of posts and these are some that went viral. They were shared and reshared across social media like Twitter, Reddit, Facebook and YouTube.
1. The satellite image of a skull-faced storm: This satellite image of the storm appears to look like an evil-looking skull grinning away as it approaches the east coast of USA.
2. The indoor stork: This image of a stork whose usual habitat is usually outdoors, wet and arid was seen taking shelter inside a restroom at the St Augustine Alligator Farm. Based in Anastasia Island, the farm that was opened in 1893, hosts a range of crocodilians, reptiles, mammals and birds. For more information, visitwww.alligatorfarm.com.
3. The huge tree that was uprooted from the earth
— ActionNewsJax (@ActionNewsJax) October 7, 2016
4. Hurricane Matthew meets slayer: A Florida man holds an American flag and defies the hurricane to the tune of Slayer’s Raining Blood.
5. Fox News reporter’s strange threat telling Florida residents they and their children would die.
— max. (@maxcdesign) October 6, 2016
6. Birds in eye of hurricane: So this is something new that I learnt. Birds fly into the eye of the hurricane which is apparently calmer. It’s a way they stay safe from the gusts of wind in the sky.
7. Waffle House surrenders to Hurricane Matthew
Apparently, FEMA unofficially uses Waffle House shutdowns as one of the methods to track the severity of a hurricane.
All Waffle House restaurants on 1-95 between Titusville, FL and Fort Pierce, FL are closed. Stay safe Waffle Nation! #HurricaneMatthew
— Waffle House (@WaffleHouse) October 6, 2016